Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has said the club will curb their transfer spending in future years after a huge outlay on players during the close season.
Pep defends full back expenditure
Former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach Guardiola claimed it was necessary to reinvigorate City's ageing squad but he will only seek to add one or two new faces in forthcoming seasons.
"Hopefully next season I will be here and we are not going to spend how we spent this season," Guardiola said Friday on the eve of his side's opening game of the new Premier League season at promoted Brighton and Hove Albion.
"Six players were out of contract. In the last six or seven years Manchester City didn't buy full-backs.
"We didn't have full-backs and you have to buy full-backs," the Spaniard added. "The market is so demanding for all the teams, not just Manchester City."
Spending in football is unsustainable
Guardiola said the current spike in football transfer spending, which culminated in Neymar's recent world record move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain for €222m, had been building for some time.
"It started with Real Madrid and Ronaldo going for £80 million and then Bale for £85 million and everything went more expensive. Now with Neymar.
"But it is going to finish, it is unsustainable. In the next three or four years Manchester City will buy one, two, maybe three players.
"We needed to do that because it was one of the oldest teams in Europe, not just the Premier League, and we need to change it. We were not able with those players to find a solution. But the solution is not changing players every season.
"The group of players this season are going to stay here for a long time. We will maybe change one important player."