The Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) announced on Friday that it has put its name forward to host the World Cup in 2026.
The FRMF said that it had told the sport's world governing body FIFA of the country’s desire to stage the global showpiece, which in 2026 will feature 48 teams instead of the standard 32.
It will mark Morocco's fifth candidacy having come up short already in 1994, 1998, 2006 and 2010.
In April, the United States, Canada and Mexico had already announced a joint North American bid to host the tournament.
If successful, Morocco would become only the second African country to host football's flagship event following South Africa in 2010.
CAF president "convinced" Morocco is ready for World Cup
World Cup 2026: Morocco confirms it will bid to host tournament: The Moroccan Football Federation announces it.. https://t.co/BbJaShWbZ0— Premier News (@premnewuk) 11 August 2017
The North African nation has received backing from African Football Federation (CAF) president Ahmad Ahmad, who said he was "convinced" the country is ready to host a World Cup.
Morocco had won the right to host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations but pulled out at the 11th hour over concerns related to the Ebola outbreak in western Africa at the time.
But the country has embarked on a drive to improve its football infrastructure while increasing its candidacies for various tournaments in order to improve its chances of landing a much coveted World Cup.